- April 1
- Second day of the editing workshop by Nohemí Chilpa at the Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana Unidad Iztapalapa (UAM-I) as part of CEUAMI's Semana de Talleres del Capitulo de las Ciencias de la Computacion de la UAM-Iztapalapa (Worhshop Week at the Computer Sciences Chapter of UAM)
- Meeting of Wikipedistas en Puebla with SocialTic.
- April 3
- Q & A session by Christian Cariño with Prof. Adriana Álvarez' class under WMMX's Education Program at National Autonomous University of Mexico's (UNAM) Philosophy and Letters Faculty within the Historical Analysis Seminar.
- April 4
- MediaWiki conference by Omar sansi in Festival Latinoamericano de Instalación de Software Libre 2014 from ITCM(Instituto Tecnológico de Ciudad Madero) at Ciudad Madero, Tamaulipas.
- April 8
- WMMX's Participation at Universidad Tecnológica Emiliano Zapata's Technology Fest 2014 event in Morelos State: Omar Sansi imparted a Wikipedia workshop and Christian gave a talk about the encyclopedia.
- April 11
- Participation in Aldea Digital. A total of 30 Wikipedia workshops, each for 30 people during 20 minutes, offered by Wikimedia México's (Omar Sansi/Omar_sansi, Christian Cariño/User:Christian Cariño, Andrés Cruz/User:Andycyca, Adrián Cerón, Rodolfo Galicia, Anny García and Gustavo Sandoval Kingwergs/User:Correogsk) The event was organized by Telmex and Mexico City's Government.
- Read the full report in the Highlights of this month.
- April 11 to 13
- Participation of ProtoplasmaKid, Wotancito and Salvador_alc in the Wikimedia Conference 2014, Berlin, Germany.
- April 16
- Meeting of Padaguan with Alex Alonso for the implementation of WMMX's Education Program at Instituto de Ecología, Xalapa, Veracruz.
- April 19
- Meeting of Wikipedistas en Puebla for define the Annual Plan to share photos in Wikimedia Commons from Fototeca Lorenzo Becerril, Puebla.
- April 20
- Master keynote by ProtoplasmaKid in the main stage of Aldea Digital 2014. Zócalo, Ciudad de México.
- April 21
- Meeting of Jorge Luis Esquivel Zubiri with the Foreign Affairs office of Gobierno del Distrito Federal for Wikimania 2015.
- Wikipedistas en Puebla meeting. Planning for "Puebla 100" project.
- April 22
- Q & A session by ProtoplasmaKid with Prof. Adriana Álvarez' class under WMMX's Education Program at National Autonomous University of Mexico's (UNAM) Faculty of Philosophy and Literature within the Historical Analysis Seminar.
- April 21 to 24
- Meetings for Wikimania 2015 with Hoteliers Association of Mexico City and Majory of the City by ProtoplasmaKid, Wotancito, Christian Cariño, Omar_sansi and Andycyca.
- April 24
- ProtoplasmaKid was interviewed by Leopoldo Gómez Ramírez in the program "So Close, So Far: A Voice of Mexico in the United States of North America", a bilingual radio program (Spanish and English) transmitted by 91.1FM of Amherst, radio station from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- Correogsk, in substitution of ProtoplasmaKid, offered the talk "How to collaborate in Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects?" within FLISoL Aragón 2014 (Department of Physics-Mathematics and Engineering, FES Aragón, UNAM).
- April 25
- Participation of Christian Cariño in FLISoL Acatlán, with the talk "Wikipedia México"
- Participation of ProtoplasmaKid in FLISoL of the Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana campus Azcapotzalco with the talk "Lo libre en Wikipedia". Mexico City, Mexico,
- April 26
- Monthly workshop about Wikipedia at TelmexHub, offered mainly by Andycyca (second level) and Wotancito (beginners), with additional contributions by Iván Martínez, Omar Sansi and Gustavo Sandoval Kingwergs.
- April 27
- Children's Day activity at Biblioteca Vasconcelos with the story "An adventure called Knowledge" written by Andycyca and read by Wikimedia Mexico's volunteers ProtoplasmaKid, Wotancito y Omar_sansi.
- Read the full report in the Highlights of this month.
For the second year in a row, Aldea Digital was held at Mexico City, a digital inclusion event at the main square of Mexico City, with a very high attendance. A strategy covering the full 17 days of the event was planned, but a few days before the event its organizers made changes to its program and thus only required Wikimedia Mexico's presence during only one day of talks and a keynote by ProtoplasmaKid.
On April 11, the Wikimedia Mexico team gave a full day of introductory 20 minutes talks about Wikipedia. According to organizers' stats, about 1,300 people attended to our program of talks given by volunteers Omar_sansi (10 talks), Christian Cariño (5 talks), Andycyca (5 talks), Adrián Cerón (5 talks), Abi_yue (5 talks), Anny Garcia and Correogsk (5 talks). This event required a high effort on our part, but was a very grateful experience for our chapter. In order to avoid the fatigue of talking for several hours in a row, our volunteers took turns giving the talks, reducing the overall tiredness and encouraging everyone to become a better speaker for future Wikimedia Mexico events.
On April 21, ProtoplasmaKid gave the keynote "Freedom in the Free Encyclopedia. The Foundations of Wikipedia's Freedom". The talk, with a duration of an hour and a half, was attended by 131 participants and was presented as one of the main contents of the event by Aldea Digital's organizing staff. In the same stage Steve Wozniak, Moshe Hogeg (Mobli creator), Walter Bender (MIT researcher) and Yin Lou (Coursera) gave a keynote each. -
Children's Day at Biblioteca Vasconcelos[editar]
The Biblioteca Vasconcelos (Vasconcelos Library), venue for the next Wikimania 2015, held an event organized on occasion of Children's Day, celebrated annually in Mexico on April 30. The Library gave us the option to read stories to children. However, when the Wikimedia Mexico community realized the public was expected to be aged 3 to 10 years, we decided to innovate and make an original story based on the core values of Wikipedia: free knowledge, sharing, curiosity and freedom.
Our volunteer Andycyca, also a NaNoWriMo participant, wrote a story called "An adventure called knowledge". This story was told on April 27 and was very well received by the children as a way to convey the values behind Wikipedia in a fun and different way. We encourage other Wikimedia colleagues to use this story as a way to reach out to younger children and instill the seed of free knowledge.
Wikimedia Mexico was part of the initiative of running a migrahack in Mexico City and supported the organization. The point of the event was to gather together journalists, academics, students, NGOs and programmers to collect and put order to disperse data about migration in Mexico and to do some data mining to obtain new knowledge on that topics, and generate statistics. Wikimedia Mexico, through our volunteer and Board member Alanlzd, gave some talks to show the importance of free knowledge and open access to data in order to create new knowledge based on that.
The results of the Migrahack are in the web page ot the Institute for Justice and Journalism.